Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Interview with Rainy Terrell Of Neo Geo

I sat down for a Skype chat with Rainy Terrell of Neo Geo and here is what she had to say:

Who did you work with in making your latest album Digital DNA?

Rainy: We self-produced the album.  For our first record, we used Cameron Webb who was an amazing producer. This time we had a lot of offers to have someone produce our record but we really felt that we could do it ourselves, not necessarily in an egotistical way, but it was more to prove to ourselves that it was something that we could accomplish.  Unlike a lot of other artists that are getting people to write their songs and having other people produce their records, I really believe Neo Geo can almost pretty much do it all. We are able to produce our own album, write great songs, and that's something that i'm really proud of in this band and i've come across such amazing and talented musicians as well. Me and the keyboardist, Ryan Walter, write all of the music.



How did you manage to get such great production values on the album?

Rainy: I would say honestly, Ryan Walter, he is amazing at re-creating anything. Him and I together make this combo team that is just unstoppable in a way. We didn't even use a major studio to record it in, which is kind of crazy, and everyone always asks me that. Our manager and our label just built a whole new studio , it's nothing like super huge, its got great acoustics and we use pro-tools and everything like that, but, it was nothing crazy. It was a home studio and we wanted to do it on that just to try and let people know that you don't really need all that high tech shit unless you really want that and you have the money to spend on that. It was really to prove to ourselves that we could do it with a minimal amount of money. I don't know, I guess it's mainly talent, focus and determination.

Was the decision to go to a more electronic sound a conscience one or did it just come out that way when you were writing the album?

Rainy: You know, it actually happened during the writing process but I will say that originally, even on the first record, we wanted to let people know that we're not just a one-trick pony. We can do anything, I feel, that we set our minds to. We can do electronic, we can do rock, and my heart and Ryan's heart is in both of them. It's not one or the other and it's actually really exciting to try and encompass both of them together and actually do it well. There are very few artists that do rock that can also produce a pop electronic sound. That was another goal of ours. We wanted to show people that we are not just all rock, not just all pop, and not just all electronic. We can really do it all. It did happen during the writing process but it was also a conscious goal as well.

   I grew up listening to pop music. I grew up listening to Madonna. I loved her. She was one of my huge idols growing up as well as Gwen Stefani and Evanescence. I had tons of different ones. Trying to make all these styles of music come together being dark, and poppy, and still rock was really the goal and I think we've succeeded.

Was there a feeling that you had bested your previous album when you got in the studio and started working on Digital DNA?

Rainy: Absolutely. After writing "Are You With Me", the first track on the album, I could not stop smiling that whole week.  That's one of my favorite tracks. I was so excited and I said: this is better than anything i've ever written. I did realize that this album stood out more than the first album. That's really the goal in the music industry. If you can't top that first record then I don't feel like you would last long. The freedom of being able to do whatever we wanted this time, I feel, made the album even better. People were surprised when we didn't get a producer but we really felt like we could do it. It wasn't that we couldn't get one. We had people knocking on the door.

    The song "Sunshine State" really hits home for me and I wanted to be more raw and I wanted people to know the hardships i've been through in my life. I don't like artists that are fake. Im open with the hardships that i've gone through in my life and because so many people go through those things, I want them to be able to relate.

Are we going to see a video release soon for "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"?

Rainy: Yes. It's already finished. We are waiting to release it. We are doing a radio campaign and as soon as we start getting some play on that we will be releasing it.

Funding programs have been essential to what you all are doing as a band. Do you see this as the way the industry is moving? 

Rainy: I do, and I think it's a positive thing actually. You get much closer to your fans, you have more freedom, and you can do what you want to do. I think it's more personable. I always respond to everyone who messages me. I've never thought I was too good for anyone. I talk to anyone who wants to talk to me and I think that's a positive thing.

Dream venue to play and dream band to play with?
Rainy: I would love to tour with Muse. I think Muse is absolutely amazing. Venue? I don't know. I guess Madison Square Garden.

What is the priority for Neo Geo in 2014?
Rainy: The priority for Neo Geo in 2014 is really getting our music out there. It's really letting the world know who we are and getting them exposed to our music and playing venues. My only goal in life is just to play music, sing, perform, and write. That's it. I don't expect anything else. If I do get greater things it would be greatly appreciated but the only thing I feel I was ever born to do is just to help people through this life as well as myself and inspire young women and men in a positive aspect.

Catch up with Neo Geo on Facebook and Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment